'Their mistake took my boy away': Family search for answers after baby, 6 months, given a fatal dose of antibiotics
Last updated at 5:41 AM on 27th October 2011
A six-month-old baby has died in hospital after medical staff mistakenly gave him an adult dose of antibiotics.
The baby boy, who death was yesterday ruled an accident, fell into a coma shortly after arriving at the emergency room of a hospital in Brooklyn, New York.
Amaan Ahmmad was brought in with a high temperature on Friday, and doctors diagnosed him with pneumonia. relatives said.
'He never since he born, he never had vomiting, fever, nothing. This is the first time he got sick.
'When he went to the hospital, he was playing with me.'
Cousin Jhora Akther told the New York Daily News. 'We love this baby.
'Oh, my God. It's just so messed up. His life was over in a second. I just can't believe it.'
The baby's parents brought him to Brookdale University Hospital on Friday when they realised he was ill, Akther said.
As there were no hospital beds available the baby was put on an IV antibiotic drip, while still in his stroller.
But immediately after starting the drip, containing the antibiotic Zithromax, the tiny baby reacted badly.
'He turned blue,' Akther said. 'Not even a second. The medicine went in, and he is finished.'
The baby went into a coma and was on a life support machine until Tuesday.
The cousin said the baby was given 500 mg of the antibiotic, but she was later told that the appropriate dose was 80 mg.
'We are investigating the circumstances of this tragic incident and express our condolences to the Ahmmad family,' spokeswoman Ruth Richman said in a statement.
Amaan's parents, Ummay Sultana and Amain, are originally from Bangladesh.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2054004/Family-accuse-hospital-giving-baby-pneumonia-fatal-antibiotics-overdose.html#ixzz1iDfwFY00