Health is wealth
When we are young, we tend to exhibit over confidence about our state of health and we ignore what seem to be minor ailments. A visit to the doctor is a big no-no unless one is so sick there is no alternative. Warning signs are generally put on the backburner and considered unimportant – all with the supreme confidence of youth. But the damage this attitude can cause in the long run is quite scary. Consider yourself one of those lucky ones if these signs do not show up later in life with more severe consequences – in which case you are indeed blessed. But for the majority, later life becomes burdened with various ailments which, your doctor gently points out, could have been nipped in the bud had they been treated as soon as you had become aware of them. Time for regrets or what?
We give you a few tips to follow in your wellness programme that will give you the right approach to this very important factor in your life.
- Begin by being totally honest with yourself. Are you really and truly ‘well' in every sense of the word? Take a look at all the spheres of your life, whether it is the physical, your career, all your relationships, financial position, spiritual aspect, the environment and of course, your emotional well-being. A thorough analysis will help you identify all the areas that need your attention and that need improvement. Next exercise is to set targets for yourself to achieve what you have planned and go about it one step at a time. Maintain a journal to track all this.
- Find out if you are ready for change should your analysis show that you need to make lifestyle changes. Are you prepared mentally to embrace these? Why don't you write down all the benefits that you stand to gain if you make these changes? This activity might help you to accept it better.
- Once your goals are clearly defined, it is up to you to implement your plan effectively. In a clinical way, eliminate all impediments and barriers to your success. Work on one barrier at a time. This will make your approach focused and thorough. Allot a time for everything and adopt a positive approach. Put aside all negative thoughts on your capability to achieve and convince yourself that you will do whatever needs to be done.
- Adopt a different approach to make it a fun exercise. Want to have more physical activity as part of your changed lifestyle? Start walking to work after parking the car a good distance away. Instead of straightaway trying to join a fitness regimen that you may give up soon due to lack of time, this approach will become a part of your daily activity. Mall incremental steps do make a big difference to achieving your goal.
- Recording your daily activities and analyzing the time spent on each will help you create more meaningful wellness priorities. Incorporating new wellness activities slowly and making them part of your daily routine will make things easier for you.
- Never rest on your laurels. Instead strive to achieve more. Start from the simple one and go on to more complicated goals. Always remember to tackle one at a time and give it your full attention.
- Keep working on your goals and devise fresh methods to achieve them. Keep redesigning and refining your goals till you are comfortable. If necessary, get some professional help.
- See that the changes you make are lasting ones that you can maintain throughout your life. Remember, it is a question of your wellness we are talking about. Celebrating your successes might help as an incentive to make further changes. Keep reviewing your successes and try newer approaches to motivate you better.
Your wellness is in your hands. Chart an easily manageable approach and be rewarded with success in achieving your goals. We are generally used to expecting fast results and tend to quit if the results are not immediate. It will do you well to remember that in these matters, long term results with all the time and effort that you put in, will only mean that you can look forward to a trouble free future as far as your health is concerned. Make wellness a way of life and you will be richly rewarded.